Sunday 1 March 2009

Teaching kids about Holidays

We just finished the Fourth of July celebration at our house, and my five year old was told all about the parade and carnival, and fireworks to follow that evening. As we walked to the parade, he asked me why there were flags on a lot of the lawns. I realized that I didn’t teach him about what the holiday meant.

It doesn’t matter what the holiday is, or what your beliefs are. If we don’t teach our children what the holidays really mean, they are going to get a different idea than what we want. Often we get so caught up in preparing for the holidays that we don’t spend the time that we should in teaching our children what the holiday means.

Before the holiday, take a half hour to spend teaching about the holiday. Give a brief overview of what the holiday is about, and find an activity that you can do with your children to reinforce their understanding. If you are teaching about Halloween, you can talk about the holiday before you carve pumpkins.

We celebrate Christ’s resurrection for Easter. One year I wanted to teach my children more about what Easter is really about. I found a recipe on the internet that makes a hollow cookie. Each ingredient symbolized something to do with the Easter holiday and Christ’s resurrection. My kids and I made the cookies and then put them in the oven overnight. When we woke up the next morning, the cookies were done, and they were hollow inside, representing an empty tomb.

Whether you have a religious belief or just celebrate the commercial beliefs about holidays, there are meanings behind each holiday. Before we get caught up in the holiday itself, make sure your children understand that it is more than getting together with family, or dressing up in costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List